Texas Creek OHV Trail
- Length: 45 miles
- Fees: None
- Usage: Heavy
- Skill Level: Varied
- Open: Year round
- Closest Town: Canon City CO
- Vehicles Allowed: ATV, SxS, motorcycles, Full size
Easy: 4 wheel drive roads. Rugged terrain, some exposure and sandy sections. 6020, 6020A, 6021, 6024, 6040, 6040A, 6040B, 6040C, 6041, 6041A, 6055, 6055A, 6056, 6060, FCR27
Moderate: ATV trails. Little exposure, be prepared for steep climbing and rocky terrain. 6022, 6025, 6026
Difficult: ATV trails < 50″. Be prepared for steep, rocky climbing, difficult switchbacks, exposure, rock drops. 6027A, 6035A, 6035B, 6036, 6041, 6055A, 6057A, 6061A
Single Track: 6062
Located on US Hwy 50, Texas Creek OHV is 26.8 miles west of Canon City. It will take just over a half hour to reach it from town.
Since this is one of the best riding areas in the region, this obviously makes it very popular. Not only is it popular with locals, but some companies also offer Colorado ATV tours out here, so it gets some fairly heavy use.
But, this is a big riding area, so you won’t be fighting crowds.
Texas Creek OHV features 45 miles of marked ATV trails on several hundred acres. It’s a huge spread out area, so even with a lot of riders, it doesn’t feel as busy as other high use areas.
About 70% of the trails are open to full sized vehicles with the remaining 30% being open only to ATVs including a small section of single track open only to dual sports.
Bull Gulch Trail 6062 is the only dedicated single track within the Texas Creek OHV.
Trails range from easy to advanced, so you’ll find plenty of adventure no matter what your skills or needs.
From easy, family friendly rides to narrow switchbacks, there’s something for everyone.
This is high mountain desert, but don’t expect the cool mountain temperatures of the Colorado mountains. It can get into the low 90s in the summer, so the shoulder seasons are the best time to plan a visit.
Year round riding!
You can ride here year round. It does snow, but not that much and it usually doesn’t stick around that long. Keep in mind though that it will still be plenty cold and muddy after a snow.
The Sangre de Cristo Mountains provide a stunning back drop to the riding. They’re especially beautiful with a dusting of snow.
You’ll be riding on high desert trails surrounded by mountains covered in scrub brush with some scrappy pine. At the higher elevations, Spruce, Douglas Fir and Aspen trees provide shade and scenery as you wind your way up.
Trails are primarily hard pack, hard pack with lots of gravel and sand. There are also some advanced rocky sections where you have to navigate boulders/larger rocks, but you can pick and choose your level of adventure.
A ride up Table Mountain (Trail 6040) is worth the effort. It’s a moderately difficult trail – narrow and rocky with some steep drop-offs.
You’ll be rewarded with an amazing vista of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the distance and views as far as the eye can see.
BLM: Texas Creek
Related: 10 Best ATV Trails In Colorado
Colorado history can be found throughout the Texas Creek OHV area including old mines as well as the grave of WWI veteran Sgt. Nulph.
Sgt. Nulph served in the Army as part of the 341 Field Artillery unit.
After the war, he became a miner and lived in a cabin that was once located next to his grave. Unfortunately, the cabin burned down sometime between 2004 – 2006.
Please be respectful when visiting the grave.
Sgt Nulph’s Grave Site (Trail FCR27): Easy. One of the most popular rides.
Table Top Mountain (Trail 6040): Table Top mesa at 9,500’ is the highest mountain in the Texas Creek Area. It’s a steep climb with several tight switchbacks. Excellent view of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains to the Southeast.
Tucker Trail and the Loop (Trail 6035): One of the most difficult trails. Steep, rocky and rough! Not for beginners.
Bull Gulch (Trail 6061): Rated as difficult. Very rocky. May need a spotter!
Camping At Texas Creek Colorado
Free Dispersed Camping
Texas Creek is managed by the BLM, so free dispersed camping is allowed throughout the Texas Creek Riding area.
It’s dry camping with no amenities. Pack it in, pack it out.
Nice level campsites are easy to find.
Sweetwater River Ranch
Located just two miles away from the Texas Creek OHV riding area.
If you’re looking for hookups and a shower, then Sweetwater River Ranch is just the ticket.
They have campsites along the Arkansas River as well as campsites with stunning mountain views.
Motel rooms, deluxe cabins, rustic cabins are also available for rent.
Both tent and RV camping is allowed. RV sites have full hookups (electric, water, sewer). Most campsites can accommodate large RVs with slide outs.
There are a few downsides to this campground.
- One is that it on a busy road, so there will be some road noise.
- Two is that you would have to trailer to the riding area.
- Three is that it’s pricy. (but location, location, location)