HomeSand DunesSamoa Dunes Recreation Area (Eureka, California)

Samoa Dunes Recreation Area (Eureka, California)

Samoa Sand Dunes

Overview Of Samoa Dunes Recreation Area

Open: Year Round
Latitude / Longitude: 40.7629, -124.226
Managed by: BLM
Usage: Moderate
Fee: Free
Camping: Available
Location: Northwest California


  • Head northeast toward New Navy Base Rd 0.2 mi
  • Turn left onto New Navy Base Rd 0.6 mi
  • Slight left to stay on New Navy Base Rd 4.6 mi
  • Turn right onto CA-255 S 2.0 mi
  • Turn right onto 4th St 0.6 mi
  • Turn left onto H St 374 ft

BLM California | Flickr

Samoa Dunes Recreation Area

If you’re expecting big sandy dune hills, this isn’t going to be your jam. There are no big hills, but there is plenty of enjoyable soft sand trail riding on a beautiful peninsula with beach access.

The Samoa Dunes are comprised of 300 acres with 140 acres open to ATV/OHV riding. The adjoining mile long Eureka Dunes is also open to off-roading and offers another 75 acres to explore; this gives riders a total of 215 acres of beautiful ocean front dunes to explore.

There’s a nice beach for cruising, but some portions of the ocean front are set aside for non-motorized use.

The riding area is not dedicated to only motorized traffic, so visitors are asked to be respectful of all users. This multi-use area offers a variety of activities including hiking, surfing, fishing, beach-combing and bird watching.

This park has a 4×4 rock crawling course, open ATV dunes, one-way track and lots of trails.

- Advertisement -

There is a loading ramp, restroom, tables, grills and a scenic overlook.

BLM: Samoa Dunes

Samoa Boat Ramp and Campground

Samoa Sand Dunes

Latitude / Longitude: 40.772849, -124.212771
Camping: $25 a night (with one vehicle)
Each Additional Vehicle: $5
Dogs: $2.00 each
ADA Accessible: unknown

  • 25 Tent Sites
  • 13 RV Sites
  • Paved
  • No Hook-ups
  • First-Come, First Serve
  • 7 Night Maximum Stay
  • Coin Operated Showers

Things To Know About Camping At Samoa Dunes:

  • You can drive directly from the campground to the sand dunes.
  • Don’t camp here in a tent, it’s a paved lot and very windy.
  • This campground is a bit of a crap shoot. Some people have a good experience here, but most people don’t recommend it. For sure, it’s a convenient location for the dunes, but there are a lot of transients and meth heads lurking around.
  • A lot of ticks in the surrounding grasses as well.

  • There are no big dune hills, mostly sandy trails.
  • All ATV / UTV must be registered and display a red or green sticker. $52 for 2 years
  • Out of state ATV vehicle registration is legal and accepted, but if you are from a state that doesn’t register ATVs then you will need to purchase a California non-resident OHV use permit.

ATV CA Sand Dunes
BLM | Flickr

Where To Purchase A Nonresident OHV Permit


Understanding California Red and Green Stickers

CA Air Resources Board (ARB) established regulations to limit the use of Off-Highway Vehicles (OHVs) that do not meet emission standards applicable for California OHV riding areas. After the regulations were established, ARB and DMV worked together to develop criteria for identifying non-complying OHVs. OHVs are registered by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). A red or green sticker is issued depending upon certain criteria.

Green stickers are issued for all California OHVs year model 2002 and older, including those that were previously issued a red sticker, and to 2003 and newer complying vehicles. Green stickers are issued to OHVs for year round use at all California OHV riding areas.

Red stickers are issued to 2003 year model and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards. If your OHV has a “3” or “C” in the eighth position of the vehicle identification number (VIN) then your vehicle will be issued a red sticker. Red stickers are issued to OHVs that can use California OHV riding areas for seasonal use only.

Rules & Regulations

  • ATV riders must wear protective helmets.
  • Observe posted signs. Fenced areas mark sensitive wildlife and plant habitat, and are “closed” to vehicle use. The “open” riding areas are also posted and those on foot should be aware of their locations.
  • All vehicles must be registered and a green sticker or license plate clearly displayed.
  • Motorcycles must be equipped with an approved spark arrester and muffler that meets noise standards.
  • Flags are required on all OHV’s in this recreation area for visibility and safety.
  • Consult a tidetable booklet.
  • Please respect private property.

California OHV Laws

OHV Registration Requirements (explains the red/green stickers)

Nonresident OHV Use Permits

California Vehicle Code Division 16.5

Read Next